The Educational Talent Search program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education through a five-year grant. The Talent Search program identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education.
The purpose of the program is to monitor and ensure students’ success through regular contacts with an Advisor in completion of the secondary level and to enter postsecondary education. Talent Search serves four area target schools that include Four Winds, Devils Lake, Warwick and Minnewaukan schools.
Services provided by the program include:
• Academic, financial, career, or personal counseling including advice on entry or re-entry to secondary or postsecondary program.
• Career exploration and aptitude assessment.
• Tutorial services.
• Information on postsecondary education.
• Exposure to college campuses.
• Information on student financial assistance.
• Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications.
• Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams.
• Mentoring programs.
• Special activities for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders.
The program also collaborates with local entities to provide a three-day Youth Leadership Conference, Financial Aid Night, Middle school and New Year’s Eve lock-ins, Culture Camps, Summer Youth Camps and various skills workshops.